Government Is Frustrating Everything I Do, Says Peter Obi
By Abdulahi Musa
Nigerian Democratic Congress presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has alleged that he is facing sustained harassment and intimidation because of his role as an opposition figure, claiming that government actions have made both his public and private life increasingly difficult.
Obi made the remarks during an interview with media personality Chude Jideonwo on the programme With Chude, a preview of which was shared on Jideonwo's Instagram page.
Speaking during the interview, Obi alleged that government agencies deliberately frustrate his activities, saying the pressure has become a daily experience.
> "Every single thing I do for a living, the government is frustrating it deliberately. I get frustrations every day. They won't come directly to say they are doing it, but you will see their hands in almost everything. They are attacking everyone who is in the opposition. I have been attacked personally, even to provide me with things I should be entitled to," he said.
The former Anambra State governor cited an incident at an airport where he claimed officials immobilised his vehicle despite recognising him.
According to Obi, the officials ignored his explanations and proceeded with their actions while other vehicles were left untouched.
He further alleged that many Nigerians now avoid publicly associating with him out of fear of possible repercussions.
"I now see people I know at the airport; they will not greet me because they are scared that if they greet me, they will become a target of the government," he said.
Obi also claimed that the atmosphere of fear has extended to private social events, revealing that some acquaintances have discouraged him from attending family celebrations.
"People now send me invitations and say, 'My son or daughter is getting married, but don't come,'" he added.
Reflecting on the situation, Obi argued that Nigeria is becoming increasingly divided and stressed the need for national unity.
> "We have divided the country, breeding hatred among ourselves. That's why I keep saying I want to bring back unity where there is division. I want to show love, compassion and care," he said.
The interview has sparked fresh conversations about the state of political opposition and civic freedoms in Nigeria, although the Federal Government has not responded to Obi's specific allegations at the time of filing this report.

Comments
Post a Comment