'I Never Said I Hate Igbo Language' — Peter Okoye Clarifies Viral Remarks


 

By Abdulahi Musa 


Popular Nigerian singer Peter Okoye has denied claims that he expressed hatred for the Igbo language, saying his comments were taken out of context and misrepresented on social media. 


The controversy began after the artiste responded to a question about whether his children could speak Igbo. His reply, which included the phrase, "Who Naija language help?", sparked widespread criticism, with many accusing him of looking down on the Igbo language and culture. 


Reacting to the backlash in a statement shared on his social media pages, Peter insisted that he never mentioned the Igbo language specifically.


 "At no point did I say I hate the Igbo language or Igbo culture. I said 'Naija language,' referring to the different languages in Nigeria, but some individuals twisted it and made it seem like I specifically mentioned Igbo. I didn't." 


The singer, however, acknowledged that his comments offended many people and accepted responsibility for how they were perceived.


 "If my response upset some people, I apologize and take full responsibility for my words," he said, while maintaining that his intention was never to insult the Igbo language or culture. 


Peter's clarification has continued to generate mixed reactions online, with some fans accepting his apology while others argue that public figures should be more careful when discussing sensitive issues related to language and culture. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinubu Orders EFCC to Lift Freeze on Osun Government Accounts Ahead of Governorship Election

Accord Shocks APC, Wins Omisore’s Polling Unit in Osun Governorship Election

Imesi-Ile Youth Leader Celebrates Six New Lawyers, Commends IPA for Honouring Outstanding Achievers