Adeleke to Basiru: I Helped Tinubu Secure Akpabio’s Senate Presidency, I’ll Deliver Osun in 2027
By Abel Chigozie
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has reaffirmed his commitment to supporting President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s re-election bid in the 2027 presidential election, recalling his role in mobilising Osun federal lawmakers for the emergence of Godswill Akpabio as Senate President in 2023.
Adeleke made the remarks on Sunday 30th August, 2026 when the APC National Secretary, Senator Ajibola Basiru, paid him a congratulatory visit following his victory in the August 15 Osun governorship election.
Basiru, who visited the governor alongside other political stakeholders, said the visit was prompted by three major reasons, including appreciation for Adeleke’s support during his mother’s burial, congratulating him on his electoral victory and thanking him for endorsing Tinubu for the 2027 presidential election.
Speaking during the visit, Adeleke said he had reaffirmed his support for Tinubu immediately after his victory to avoid any controversy over his position.
The governor said he had no intention of making an empty promise regarding his commitment to delivering Osun votes for Tinubu in 2027.
“I don't make empty promises. When I said we will deliver Osun State votes to our dear father, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, I mean it 100 per cent,” Adeleke said.
Recalling events surrounding the 2023 election of the leadership of the National Assembly, Adeleke said President Tinubu’s then Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, contacted him over the President’s request for Osun federal lawmakers to support Akpabio and Abbas Tajudeen.
According to him, he subsequently persuaded the newly elected Osun senators, who he said were initially supporting Abdulaziz Yari’s Senate presidential bid, to back Akpabio.
“I told the Chief of Staff to tell the President not to worry at all, I will handle it,” Adeleke said.
He claimed that the three newly elected senators from Osun subsequently voted for Akpabio.
Adeleke said the development strengthened his relationship with Tinubu, recalling an occasion when the President reportedly sought him out during a meeting.
The governor said his latest endorsement of Tinubu was therefore consistent with his previous political position.
“Immediately after my election victory was announced, I didn't wait till the following day. I don't want any controversy. I immediately reinstated and reaffirmed my earlier adoption of Mr President, Bola Tinubu, in the 2027 presidential election,” he said.
Basiru, a former senator representing Osun Central, said his visit to Adeleke was also significant because of their political differences during the governorship campaign.
“I would have come earlier, but I didn't want to come until after the election because I was busy campaigning against you. I never wished you could win,” Basiru said.
He, however, said he was visiting Adeleke as a democrat to congratulate him on his victory and to appreciate his gesture towards Tinubu.
Basiru also thanked Adeleke for visiting his residence during the period of his bereavement and attending the final rites of his late mother.
The APC national secretary said Adeleke’s continued support for Tinubu was particularly noteworthy because some people had expected the governor to withdraw his endorsement after the election.
“Many thought you would renege after the election, but you stood firm,” Basiru said.
The meeting highlights the emerging political alignment between the Osun State Government and the Presidency ahead of the 2027 presidential election, despite the sharp political contest between the APC and Adeleke’s political camp during the governorship poll.
Adeleke had defeated the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, in the August 15 governorship election, according to the results declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission.
The governor’s reaffirmation of support for Tinubu is expected to shape political calculations in Osun ahead of the 2027 presidential contest, particularly as the APC seeks to strengthen its support base in the state.

Comments
Post a Comment